Thank you for your interest in submitting a proposal for LASA2021: Crisis global, desigualdades y centralidad de la vida, taking place from May 26–29. When submitting proposals, please follow the five participation rules described below:
Rule 1: Participation Limitation
- Participants are limited to one paper per Congress, no exceptions. If a participant has submitted an individual proposal, she/he may not be added to a panel proposal. Additionally, if a participant is a co-author, that paper counts as the only paper.
- Participants can only have four active participations per Congress. Being an organizer or a contact person does not count towards these participations. The four active participations may take the form of:
Paper presenter (in a panel)
Presenter without paper (in a roundtable)
Presenter without paper (in a workshop)
Discussant (in a panel, workshop, or roundtable)
Chair (in a panel, workshop, or roundtable)
- Panel proposals must have a minimum of three and a maximum of five papers. Workshop and roundtable proposals must have a minimum of three participants and there is no maximum.
- Panels, workshops, and roundtables should have at least one session organizer (maximum two), one chair (maximum two), and a discussant (it is not mandatory, but highly recommended).
- The rules for the Section sessions are the same than for the regular sessions.
- Travel grant requests can only be sent by the participant requesting the grant and can only be given to individuals who have a paper accepted in the Congress.
- Members who received a LASA travel grant in 2018 and 2019 do not qualify for funding for 2021. This includes candidates whose assigned grant was not used because they did not attend the Congress and did not cancel their participation, or because they canceled at the last moment eliminating the opportunity for another participant to receive the grant.
People whose travel grant for LASA2020 was revoked due to the transformation to a Virtual Congress may reapply for another grant for the next Congress LASA2021.
Rule 2: Membership Requirement
The following rules are related specifically to the type of submission proposal:
Individual submissions: The individual submitter and co-author(s) must become/be current LASA members in order to submit a proposal and travel grant request(s). Each co-author must send a separate travel grant request.
Panel submissions: All participants in the panel must become/be current LASA members in order to be included in the proposal. All panelists, as LASA members, can submit their individual travel grant requests.
Workshop or Roundtable submissions: All participants must become/be current LASA members in order to be included in the proposal. No workshop or roundtable participants may request a travel grant unless they also have a paper in the Congress.
Section submissions: All participants must become/be current LASA members and current members of the specific Section where they intend to participate. All paper presenters in a Section session, as LASA members, can submit their individual travel grant requests.
The deadline for renewing/obtaining LASA membership for proposal submission is September 7, 2020, at 17:00 hrs. EDT.
Please do not wait until the deadline to become a member, renew your membership, or submit a proposal.
Rule 3: Preregistration
Once a proposal has been approved, all participants are required to register for the Congress. Please remember that registration is a different fee from the membership fee. Preregistration must take place before Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 17:00 hrs EDT. If the participant does not register by this deadline, they may be removed from the program book. Additionally, sessions may be cancelled or changed due to insufficient paper presenters.
Rule 4: Paper Delivery
As a paper presenter, you have two important obligations:
- To ensure that the members of your panel, especially discussants, receive your paper in time to read it carefully prior to the meeting.
- To submit your paper for the Congress proceedings and memories. Note: Your paper should not be considered published because it is posted on the LASA website.
Rule 5: Congress Schedule
The sessions will be scheduled between the morning of Wednesday, May 26, until the end of the day on Saturday, May 29, 2021. Participants are expected to be available for presenting during this time. Please note that scheduling change requests cannot be honored.